Roof Maker’s new Passive House Flat Rooflight has set a new standard in energy efficiency, achieving the prestigious Passive House standard and accreditation from the Passivhaus Trust.
If you’re wondering what all this means and how it could benefit your property, read on.
What is Passive House?
Passive House is an aspirational standard of energy efficiency, designed to dramatically reduce a building’s ecological footprint.
The standard originated in Europe, back in 1988. Its name comes from the German term, Passivhaus. The first Passivhaus residences were built in Germany in 1990.
The Passive House standard
Achieving the Passive House standard is no mean feat. To do so, a product must pass rigorous testing and meet strict criteria.
Two of these criteria are that the building must:
- Prevent heat loss, achieving a set limit on the amount of air that can leak out
- Maintain a comfortable temperature, achieving set limits on its heating/cooling requirements
The importance of Passive House
Passive House standards:
- Keep your energy bills to an absolute minimum
- Reduce your CO2 emissions by reducing your use of fossil fuels
- Help to counter the threat of climate change
- Save our limited natural resources, giving us more time to find renewable alternatives
The cost of installing Passive House elements is generally outweighed by their energy saving potential.
Roof Maker is a world leader in green innovations
Since 2001, Roof Maker has been designing innovative, contemporary products that combine outstanding energy efficiency with timeless style.
To avert climate change, we understand the need to cut carbon emissions and conserve our precious natural resources. While UK Building Regulations have tightened to meet these ends, we have always strived to do better.
Through ongoing research and development we have created products that far exceed the requirements of the Building Regulations, offering superior insulation and significant energy savings.
Impressively the rooflight has achieved Passive House standard with a three-pane triple glazed unit, rather than the four or five panes you might expect. Keeping the number of panes to a minimum results in a lighter unit that transports easily and is quicker to fit.
Listening to our customers
At Roof Maker we work closely with our customers, using your feedback to continually research and develop better products.
When it comes to rooflights, you have told us you want:
- To increase the natural light in your home
- Classic designs that will suit your property — whether it’s old or new
- Glass that is easy to keep clean
- A manageable unit that is quick and easy to fit
- A built-in upstand, prefabricated to the optimum angle
- A durable product, guaranteed to last
But you don’t want:
- Your heating bills to increase
- Your rooflight to create a ‘greenhouse effect’ in hot weather
- Chunky frames that collect dirt and obstruct the light flow
- Sun damaged fabrics and furnishings
The Passive House Rooflight fulfils all these criteria.
Benefits of the Passive House Flat Rooflight
The Passive House Flat Rooflight:
- Features a contemporary frameless design to let in more natural light
- Offers exceptional insulation to prevent heat loss, draughts and condensation
- Retains the warmth from your heating appliances in cold weather
- Keeps your heating requirements and bills to a minimum
- Has Solar Control to keep your room cool and comfortable in warm weather
- Blocks harmful UV rays and prevents your furnishings and fabrics from fading
- Has a self-cleaning coating, which reduces the need for manual cleaning
- Is triple glazed for a lighter, more manageable unit that can be moved easily
- Has a built-in upstand for quick and easy fitting
- Carries an industry-leading 20-year unit seal warranty and a 10-year guarantee against frame discolouration, cracking and shape deterioration
Energy saving potential
Like many Roof Maker products, the Passive House Flat Rooflight is triple glazed as standard. The unit comprises three 6mm panes of glass, separated by argon-filled cavities.
Research has shown that replacing single glazed or old double glazed units with triple glazing can cut your energy bills by 50%, if your home is properly insulated.
Find out more
Roof Maker is a world leader in the design, manufacture and supply of high quality rooflights and bi-fold door systems — including the new Passive House Flat Rooflight.
Our premium glazed products are designed to transform your living space into a bright, comfortable and energy efficient space you will enjoy for many years to come.